Saturday, June 21, 2008

Interning...Life as an intern


This Wednesday I went on a story about scams. A lady got a phone call about being a winner of some wal-mart sweepstakes. The scam was not really believable, but I guess a lot of people fall for it. I realized some stories, its harder to find b-roll footage. The reporter and I talked about the realities of working on tv, the time commitment, the hours, the lifestyle etc. We talked about filming and writing that the video footage and audio should each tell the story.
Next, I helped an editor do the graphics for the newscast. He is training to be a director and I've done the graphics before so I led him through the steps. I also ran prompter for some of the nightly newscast. That was fun.
This Thursday I went to a story about a camp for kids whose parents are deployed oversees. The reporter let me conduct all the interviews, that includes making up the questions. I then asked to do a stand-up. It was a creative one. I wore a 45 lb. police vest, heavy metal helmet and other things while delivering the standup. It was active. Next, I talked to news director Joe Cole, where he showed me some resume tapes and told me what to look for. Some things he noticed were fast montages and natural stand-ups. It was very helpful to get the details of what is expected in news.

1 comment:

beckie. said...

Hey I saw the other pictures on your Facebook, you have been busy!! I am so proud of you! You should put a video on here of you doing your thang!