Friday, April 17, 2009

A Word on the DHS RIghtwing Extremism Report

A Student’s Perspective on the Rightwing Extremism Report by the DHS

“I didn’t know I was an extremist”

 

            I first heard this news about classifying and warming Rightwing Extremists from my sister Beckie. To be frank, I did not believe her. I thought this report was just some far-fetched rumor. And to my surprise, I was wrong.

            When I researched this news, I went to several prominent and credible news sites.  At foxnews.com I found this article http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/protest-grows-report-right-wing-radicalization/. Now Fox news is known for its conservative news reporting so I was a little doubtful of the accuracy of the article. I thought the reporter could be overreacting to the whole situation. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as the report stated.

            Next I went to cnn.com, the more liberal news source. I continued to find several articles of how controversial this report was. This showed that maybe there wasn’t as big of a bias.

            I did extensive research on this report, reading several articles and opinions regarding this issue, but I wanted to get to the true source:the actual report. No commentaries, no opinions; just the straight truth.

 

             After looking over the ten-page report from the Department of Homeland Security, I was appalled by its distorted definitions of right-wing extremists. The report states Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),

and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely.  It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

So are we to say that those who oppose abortion or immigration are possible suspects of political extremitism? That is outrageous! I guess I could be an extremist, because I strongly oppose abortion.

The article also states “ (U//FOUO)  Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans

likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups,

as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for

violence against the government…

(U//FOUO)  Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are

attractive to rightwing extremists.  DHS/I&A is concerned that rightwing

extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to

boost their violent capabilities. “

This article disrespects our veterans who have fought so bravely to protect our natural and human rights. Does this take a way the credibility and purpose of our military if the government is insulting its military veterans?

Overall, this report is a threat to the constitution. It challenges the validity of the Bill or Rights. If you would like to see the report yourself, go to http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/041609_extremism.pdf

No comments: